Monday, October 26, 2009

I am so proud of this boy!

Man do I love this kid. He could move mountains if he wanted to. For those of you who know Dylan very well, know that he has anxiety about new situations, and old situations for that matter. Like crying everytime we dropped him off in nursery for 18 months. He has always just been an anxious kid. We decided to put him in preschool a few months ago hoping that it would help him get ready for kindergarten. Well needless to say it was not good. He hated it. The teachers said he just wasn't ready, maybe try again next year. I was so discouraged, we just haven't known what to do to help him try to get over this. So I thought great another year of this and he will probably do the same thing next year. I am so thankful for answers to prays and teachers that thought enough about Dylan and realized that there was a problem. I got a call we got the ball rolling, we are working with some wonderful people who have set up a great plan to help Dylan work his anxieties. So last week was his first week back to preschool, I'm not gonna lie, it was rough. I was ready to throw in the towel a few times, but his teachers kept encouraging me as well, that everything was going to be ok. Well starting yesterday at the primary program, I was finally at peace and knew that he was going to be just fine and we are going to get through this with no problem.
The primary kids have been practicing their program for a couple of weeks, Dylan had his part memorized but wouldn't say it into the microphone. When it was time for the kids to go to there seats, Dylan asked me to walk him to his seat, and I did. The Sunbeams were first to say their parts, I was expecting some crying and his teacher pulling him to the microphone, but nope, he marched himself up to the podium said his part clear as day. I was so happy. Marty and I were standing in the very back, if the congregation would have turned around they would have seen two proud parents doing the happy dance. I was so proud of him, it just brought tears to my eyes. Then today on the way to preschool, he asked if I could walk him to his class. I was more than happy to do that. He walked into class, being so brave, he gave me a hug and a kiss and said see ya later mom. I cried all the way home. This is a huge milestone, I am so proud of him.

9 comments:

LAURA said...

yay dylan!

Kristi said...

Oh Annette! I got big "ol crocodile tears in my eyes yesterday - he did soooo great! I saw you walking him in and hoped that drop off would go good too!!!!! Yay!!!!!! Oh what a wonderful and precious gift!
We sure love that lil guy! He is a sweetheart! And you and Marty are such amazing parents!!!
(also, I loved how everytime they got up to sing it was "Hi Mom, Love you Mom, oh Hi - Mom can you see me?" CUTE!) - (We were sitting right behind the Sunbeams;) )

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that Dylan is getting to be a brave boy!!! : )

Gail said...

Yea for Dylan!! We are so proud of you!! Marty and Annette, you are doing a wonderful job!!!

Grandma M. AKA Gail

Brant and Jana said...

Way to go Dylan! He did do so good at the program and you are wonderful mom!

Da Masons said...

Great job Dylan. Keep it up.

The Morriss Family said...

Aren't we so grateful for answers to prayers!? I knew that Dylan was so proud of himself after he said his part. I heard him say, "Mommy, did you hear me? I did it! I did it." You can't put into words the reward that is to a parent! Congratulations! You are doing great!

anna said...

Awww! I cried when I read this. What a great kid!!! Nice job parents!!! :)

Jen said...

What a sweet post! I love it. Don't you love to see your sweet boys grow? It is bittersweet! We miss you guys!