Sunday, November 16, 2008

In June Marty's cousin Susan was diagnosed with colon cancer, she is only 25, she was married in January to Justin Turley. It came as a shock to everyone.
This year was the first annual 5k to help fight colon cancer. They wanted to do something different, so it became the undy 5000, as in underwear. Yes, we were to run in our underwear. Well I did not run in my underwear, but quite a few other people did.
Earlier in the year there was a race in Philedelphia and about a month ago there was a race in Dallas. Marty's sister Ann Marie lives in Dallas and was able to run the race there. She also flew in Thursday night to be with the family and run the race on Saturday. Marty has quite a large family and they are very supportive of each other. Everyone that could, got together on Saturday to run this race for Susan. She was represented very well, at least 18 Mortensen's, and over 60 people who ran on her team. There could have been more, no one ever really got a head count. It was awesome to see the strength that this family has, I am sure that Susan was able to fell the love of her family and her friends.
I have wanted to run in a 5k all year, but I was full of excuses. I had no excuse not to run in this race. Susan would have ran it if she could have, hopefully she will run it next year with us.
I had alot of fun, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Marty kept up with his sister, who runs all the time. I kept thinking I was going to find him passed out somewhere along the course, but he did awesome.
Grandpa pushed the boys in the stroller.
Aunt Anna holding up Dylan with our teams sign.


Tyson crashed somewhere along the way.

After the race, we are still smiling.
We had a great weekend. Felt so good to do something good.





6 comments:

Samantha and Tyrel Ross said...

How awesome!! What a neat thing to do. Way to go. You inspire me to start running, too bad I can't without taking my kids, which I don't want to do. Glad you had a great weekend

Kristi said...

You DID IT!!!!!! I am so stinkin proud of you! I am excited to hear all the details! How did your knee do?
That is awesome that there were so many of you there! What a lucky girl to have all of your love and support! You are such a superwoman!

LAURA said...

Looks like you guys had a fun time!

Jackee said...

So cool. I need to do something like that for my mom. Trouble is, I'm getting out of shape again because I'm traveling to see her so much! :)

Good job and love the signs.

Da Masons said...

That is such a cool thing to do. It is a great way to contribute. Looks like it was fun.

anna said...

You guys both did awesome! It was so fun to run with so many family members.

So- are you addicted to racing yet? :) I'm sure we could find one in December to start training for. If Marty really holds true to his commitment of cutting 4 minutes off his mile time by next year, I'm going to need to find a new running buddy! lol

It was so great to see you guys!!!

PS- the fam pic with Dylan sticking his tongue out is my absolute favorite!